BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 29, 2009

This is a piece I wrote based on a true story, in regards to my niece Brittany (Brinikki) and my mother, her grandmother....

Grandma told me to go to sleep,
To just close my eyes and count the sheep.
"1...2...4..3..8", I said,
"But I don't wanna' go to bed!"
Grandma said it was getting late,
I had better be asleep by half past eight.
With rolled up fists on my hips and a glint in my eye
I told her when she fell asleep I'd just pass on by.
Past her bedroom and down the hall,
I'd do whatever I wanted, anything at all.
"I wouldn't do that", Grandma said,
"Cause when I fall asleep, I can't protect you from what's under your bed".
"Under my bed", I gulped, my eyes open wide.
With these words I just wanted to hide.
Slowly crawling to the top of my bed.
I listened as my Grandma put these words in my head.
"Under your bed there is a creature,
That is terrifying in it's every feature.
Long teeth that are sharp, green skin that is scaly,
Looking for children to gobble up daily!"
These are the words that my Grandma had said,
There is an alligator that sleeps under your bed!
"So go to sleep child go to sleep now
and don't let your hands or your feet touch the ground!"
From under the covers, only my eyes peeking out,
In only a whisper, I wouldn't dare shout,
"I'm really tired now Grandma, so I'll just say goodnight,
Do you think for tonight we could keep on the light?"

0 comments: